Good piece by Neil O’Brien here.
I agree with him that housing is a vitally important part of the benefits system. It should not be regarded as outside it. The effects on couple formation are very important. In those countries with less in the way of social housing there is less lone parenting.
- Report on lone parents and work
- The government says it can do nothing more to reduce the number teenage pregnancies
- Children of lone parents are disadvantaged – further evidence
- Italy used not to pay lone parents much. Lo and behold, there were very few lone parents.
- Hostels, lone parents and some grim statistics